Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Now they're advertising kid social networks


Is it just me or is the growth of children's social networks a sign of the apocalypse? I'm asking because I was reading over at Adweek that Interactive Corp. (or IAC ... take your pick) is putting $5 million behind a TV campaign for its kiddie club Zwinky, and if the new commercial is as inane as this earlier one above, I hope to never, ever see it. With Disney buying Club Penguin I guess there's no time like the present to promote other kiddie social networks, but God help us all.

2 comments:

Alan Wolk said...

Your kids must not be old enough yet to be ensnared by the whole Webkinz phenomenon. It's huge here in the Northeast (NYC area, anyway) as it provides both online and offline entertainment. I did a post about it a few days ago and got quite a conversation going among fellow travelers.

Anonymous said...

i think they've figured out that the real money isn't in second life. it's in creating second lives for those who barely have a first life. my son is mad into these things. and i happily pay up.

the weird thing for disney is that my son would have no idea who they are. he's from the pixar generation. mickey who?