Tuesday, May 22, 2007

KFC ad is astoundingly lame--even for them


For awhile now, KFC advertising from DraftFCB has been shameless in its gimmickry--remember the horrendous commercial which contained the secret code that let people win a cheap $1 sandwich? Well, here's the latest: a commercial that KFC claims is the "First-Ever TV Commercial Created Entirely Out of Consumer-Generated Content." What I think they meant was that this is the first commercial ever to rely on the incredibly cheap production technique of splicing together some bad viral video into 15 seconds of pretty much nothing--the idea is that KFC picked footage of so-called Internet stars to "celebrate" its transition to zero transfat. (And was anything about this really a first? All I can say is prove it to me KFC, prove it.) Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this new spot is lame. Despite KFC's attempt at hoopla, only 205 people have viewed it so far on YouTube. While I've posted it above if you want to watch it, I'd advise you not to waste your time.

No comments: